A teacake in Sweden the cake is made from sweetened wheat soda breads and served with butter, jam and often cheese.
In England is a light yeast-based sweet bread containing dried fruit, typically served toasted and buttered. In India and Australia a teacake is more like a sponge cake. In the U.S. teacake can be cookies or small cakes. Tea refers to the popular beverage with these baked goods are an accompaniment to.
In England this cake is commonly containing dried fruits, most usually sultanas, peel or currants. It’s typically split, buttered, toasted and served with tea. There are many variations of tea cake from different are and they have they own unique either from the taste, ingredients used, flavor, texture and many more. And the tea cake that I’m going to make today is the old fashioned tea cake from Southern. It’s kind of hard to get the original recipe, but I can guarantee that the cake we make this time has a delicious flavor, soft texture and will be so great. Of course, the best thing to describe the cake is when it’s served in the morning and accompanied with a cup of hot tea while reading the newspaper with relaxed. You can enjoy how great the taste of the cake in every slice you eat. Once you bite it you can fell how moist how nice and how great the taste and the texture and make you feel like you can’t even stop bite the cake and eat them all.
Besides, this Southern tea cake is a simple and easy cake to make. And the ingredients that used is super easy to find, believe all the items is familiar for you so you won’t have to search or google it just because you find one of the ingredients is unfamiliar for you. As you make a cake, this tea cake is made from combining the egg, sugar, butter and flour as a batter and bake until it turns to special and delicious cake.
Here, I’m going to give you some review of making this cake. First thing you may have to do to make this Southern tea cake is just mixing the dry ingredients such as flour, baking powder, baking soda and a small pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl. Then in a bowl of stand mixer or hand mixer beat the butter and with the mixer running add the sugar and keep beating it. Add the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extracts and beat it until everything is well combined. Add the dry ingredients-mixture beat them over medium to low speed just until all combined well and turns to dough form. Once you have a good mixture of your dog, transfer it to the floured counter and roll the dough with rolling pin just until you get an appropriate thickness. Then use the cake cutter or whatever works for you cut the cake into rounded-shapes and now you are ready to place your dough into the prepared pan and bake them just until the cakes are golden brown. Once your cake is done, remove it from the oven and let the cake cools completely. And you are ready to serve them and accompanied with a cup of hot tea or you may want to bring this cake as a gift to your parents.
Ingredients of How to Make Southern Old Fashioned, Easy, Tasty and Quick Tea Cake Cookies:
- 4 cups plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions Of How to Make Southern Old Fashioned, Easy, Tasty and Quick Tea Cake Cookies:
- First, you can start the first step by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Then prepare a baking sheet and line the bottom with parchment paper or cooking paper then spray it with non-stick cooking spray or you can just grease it with butter.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl place the flour along with the baking powder, baking soda and a small pinch of salt. Sift the ingredients just and mix them just until everything is well combined and set the bowl side.
- In a bowl of stand mixer or using the hand mixer cream the butter and butter shortening just until they are full creamy. With the mixer running gradually add the granulated sugar and beat them just until all ingredients are smooth. Then add the eggs one at a time keep beating it.
- Next, add butter milk or if you don’t have the buttermilk you can substitute it with sour cream and add vanilla extract. Mix it up until all the ingredients mixed together well.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients along with the wet and go beat them again just until the mixture turns to cookie dough.
- Once you have done with the dough, now transfer the dough into the floured counter and roll out the dough using roll pin.
- Then cut out the dough into the desired shapes. Here I’m using the rounded shape, but you can pick whatever shape and size you want.
- Next, after you have done cutting out the cake, place the cookies into the prepared baking sheet and bake it to the preheated oven for about 7 to 8 minutes or just until the edge of the cookie is turn golden browned.
- Once your cookie is done, remove it from the oven and also remove them from the baking sheet and place them on the wire rack to make the cookie or tea cake cool completely.
After the cookies or tea cakes are cool to room temperature, you now can serve this to your family and friends or you may want to enjoy them with a cup of hot tea.
If you like this special cake recipe, don’t forget to share and leave your comment on the comment section below!