Carpet can be a strong source that creates some particular smells inside your house. How your carpet smells can determine the nuance around it.
There are several causes that create particular smells on your carpet starting from smoke to pet urine. Each reason requires different treatment and you can actually get the job done all by yourself.
Our brief yet complete tutorials below will show you how to remove some smells on your carpet that will not cost you a lot at all.
How to Remove Bad Smells from Carpet
Removing smoke smells
If you smoke or cook a lot and don’t have proper ventilation, your home will smell like an ashtray. The carpet is one of the most powerful sources which spreads the smell. When it happens, don’t throw away the carpet, and here’s what you can do:
- Inspect the spots – In most cases, the smells don’t really affect the whole carpet, but only some spots.
- Use baking soda – Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda onto the affected areas which will absorb the smoke smell naturally. Leave the baking soda to sit for around thirty minutes then vacuum everything
- Clean everything – Use a vacuum to clean up the baking soda. You might need to repeat the step if you still smell the smoke around.
Removing mildew smells
For you who live in an area with a high level of humidity and don’t dehumidify the air regularly, the risk of mildew invasion is huge which can also affect the carpet.
You will need to use acidity from easy home supplies that will remove the smells of the mildew. Here’s what you can do to overcome the problem:
- Dry it up – If the carpet is damp or even wet, you can use some fans or an air humidifier to soak the water up.
- Make a DIY solution – You can use some easy home supplies to create your very own cleaning solution. Mix 1 cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of warm water. Spray the cleaning solution on the affected area lightly, and don’t wet the carpet since it will worsen the problem.
- Air-dry the carpet – Open the windows and door to dry up the carpet.
(You may also like: How to Maintain Rattan Furniture to Keep It Cozy All the Time)
Removing pet urine smells
There are times when your dogs or cats pee around your carpet and, of course, very unpleasant smells. You surely need to remove it as soon as possible.
Here’s what you can do:
- Soak it up – Once you have found the pee on the carpet, use a dry towel to soak it up immediately. The longer the pee stays on the carpet the harder it can be removed (the stains and smells).
- Mix some home supplies – Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda, 2 cups of white vinegar, and 2 cups of warm water. Spray the mixture to the affected area and let it sit for around 5 minutes.
- Dry it up – Blot the solution with a soft cloth.