Cherry cake is the moist, nice and delicious sponge cake that has cherry as the main ingredient of the cake.
In England, the cake is basically a pound or sponge cake with glace cherries added to the cake before baking. The cherries are usually evenly sprinkled within the cake. The cake is made the first beating the eggs with the sugar until very thick and light colored. A common problem when adding a heavy fruit like cherries to a cake batter is that the fruit tends to sink to the bottom of the pan during baking. While this in no way affects the flavor of the cake, it does not allow us to appreciate the cherry’s full beauty. The cake is baked until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake and it springs back when you press them slightly. If you find the cake over browning, you can cover the cake with a piece of aluminum foil. (You might also like: Honey Bun Cake Recipe)
I never get bored to remind you to always choose your fruit carefully. Look for big cherries that are bright dark red, shiny, quite firm and plump and make sure there is no browning around the stems. Once we have the cherries, we need to remove the pits. Pitting of the cherries is always a tedious job and the task is made easier if you have a cherry pitter. However, if you do not own such a tool, then you can just do it by a knife or your hand. The easiest way I have found to do this, is to make a small slit in the cherry, with a small sharp knife, from the stem end to the bottom of the cherry. Then, using a tip of knife or your thumbnail, remove the pit. The process is best done over a bowl so any dripping juice will fall into the bowl and not stain your countertop. I also dust the cherries with a little bit of flour and just mix it well until the powder and the cherries incorporated so the cherries will not sink to the batter. And I also sprinkle the chopped almond all over the top of the cake just to make it even more crunchy and nice.
To make this special cherry cake all you need to do is grab all the ingredients and you can start the step by creaming together the butter and sugar and you know what, the best thing about this cake is that you don’t need any machine or mixer to make the batter. I’m here using the wire whisk to beat the batter. Once you have done with the butter, go ahead and mix the salt and baking powder into the flour and pour it into the butter mixture. Whisk it up until all blended well, but remember do not over whisk it or you will end up with the heavy batter. Pour the milk and whisk it again.
After you have done with the batter, now you can pour the floured-cherries into the batter and gently fold them in until everything is well combine. Now, pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top using a spatula and now sprinkle the chopped almond all over the top of the cake and bake the cake into the oven and let it cook well. Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. I like to dust the top of the cake with icing sugar just to make the cake even nicer. But here’s the different between what my mother did and what my grandma does. My grandma likes to dust the cake with icing sugar which same like I do today, but my mother likes to pour the liquid from the cherries all over the top of the cake as the glaze. But it is up to you, you can pick the one you prefer the most.
Ingredients of How to Make Easy, Moist and Fresh Cherry Cake:
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- 3/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Milk
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 10 Tablespoon of Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup of Maraschino Cherries (chopped and drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup of Slivered Almonds
Instructions of How to Make Easy, Moist and Fresh Cherry Cake:
- First of all you can start the first step by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and place the rack to the center of the oven. Then, spray a 9 inch of round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large of mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and butter using the wire whisk just until all incorporated well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and go ahead just mix it up just until all the ingredients is mixed together well. Set the bowl aside.
- Now, we are going to make the dry ingredient. Pour the salt and baking powder to the flour and mix it up using a spoon. Pour this ingredient to the batter and again whisk it up just until everything is well combined.
- Pour the milk to the batter and mix it up just until everything incorporated well. But remember not to over whisking or you will end up with the heavy butter.
- Pour the floured-cherries to the batter and grab the spatula, gently fold the ingredients together just until the cherries mixed well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top using the spatula, sprinkle the copped almond all over the top of the cake. And bake it to the oven for about 40-45 minutes or until you insert the toothpick to the center of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and place the cake on the wire rack, then let it cool to room temperature before serving.
I would like to dust the top of the cake with icing sugar or you can just glaze the top with cherry liquid or cherry juice or whatever icing you like.
Don’t forget to share this special cake recipe with friends or family and don’t forget to leave your comment below!