A chiffon cake is a very light cake made with flour, eggs, baking powder, vegetable oil, sugar and flavorings. It is a combination both foam and batter type or known as sponge cakes type.
Instead of the generally cake ingredient that use butter, this cake ingredient use vegetable oil to make a dense texture and yummy taste. Therefore the cake is like angel cake and other foam cakes it will get the fluffy texture by stirring the egg white using wire whisk or electric mixer until its stiff and folding them into the cake better before baking. The chocolate chiffon cake is also versatile. You can add some simplest dust on the top of the cake or you can also add some powdered sugar or cocoa powder.
In addition you if you want to make your cake looks prettier you can also decorate the cake with some icing or pour the glossy chocolate glaze on the top of the cake and let it flow down the sides of the cake and also you may want to sprinkle it with chocolate chips or anything you like. But at its most decadent you can also turn the cake into a layer cake, buy dividing it in half add filling it with a delicious filling with many flavors such as mocha, strawberry jam and whipped cream. Once you finished assemble the cake you can pour the chocolate glaze all over the top of the cake to the sides of the cake. Finish it off with a lovely swirls of the mocha whipped cream, and you’ll have a delicious and beautiful chocolate chiffon cake.
At the first look you could mistakenly thing that that chocolate chiffon cake was an angel food cake. Both cakes are pretty with their circular shape and that characteristic hole in the centre of the cake which comes from baking the cake in a tube pan.
But the chiffon cakes is different, they contain both of egg yolks and egg white, and add with baking powder and baking soda, oil and liquid. The use of oil here is to make wonderful moist and tender crumb and also to keep the cake soft even when the cake place into a refrigerator.
To remind you all to the history of this cake, the chiffon cake created by a Californian named Henry Baker who sold his recipe to General Mills in 1940s. The batter is baked in an ungreased tube pan that allows the batter to cling to the bottom or sides of the pan as it bakes. And today we’re going to make a yummy and delicious chocolate chiffon cake. You can make this special cake as your birthday cake or you may want to bring this cake to your friend’s house as a gift. And here’s the recipe.
Ingredients of How to Make Chocolate Chiffon Cake:
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 eggs plus one additional egg white
- 1/2 cup flavorless oil (I like to use corn oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup coffee or water
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
Ingredients of How to Make Mocha Filling:
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp coffee powder
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Ingredients of How to Make Chocolate Glaze/Chocolate Topping
- 4 tsp butter, diced
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp liqueur (optional) (I like to use coffee flavored liqueur)
Instructions of How to Make Chocolate Chiffon Cake:
- First of all you may start by separating the eggs while they’re still cold. Separate between the egg yolk and the egg white (also with the extra egg white) to another bowl. Cover it with a plastic wrap and bring it to room temperature (it might take about 30 minutes).
- Next, you can go on and preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare the two 25 cm tube pans and do not grease it.
- Get a large bowl and sift dry ingredients such as flour, cocoa powder, 3/4 cup granulated white sugar, baking soda, baking powder and also salt.
- In another bowl, add egg yolks, oil or coffee (or if you don’t like the taste of coffee you can substitute it with water) and vanilla extract, whisk it together until it’s combined well. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the wet ingredients and whisk it until it’s smooth and nice.
- In another bowl, with the whisk attachment on your mixer, beat the egg whites and some tartar cream (if desired) until it really smooth. Gradually stir in the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and beat it until it’s nice. Use your thick spatula or wooden spoon, fold the egg whites (in three additions) into the batter just until it’s blended well.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased tube pans, make sure that you pour all over the batter into the tube pan, if it necessary use the spatula or knife to get rid of any air pockets.
- Once you’re done, bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 55 to an hour or until the cake is cooked well. To test that your cake is cooked, you can insert a toothpick to the center of the cake and it comes out clean. Next, remove the cake from the oven and invert the pan and place it on a flat bottom cup. Let the cake cool completely before we continue to the next step. It might take about a half hour to an hour to make the cake is completely cool. Invert onto a greased wire rack and with a sharp knife cut the cake in half horizontally.
- Place the bottom of the layer on a plate and spread about 3/4 cup of the cream filling. And here’s how to make the mocha cream: Place all the ingredients except the cream, in the bowl. Stir about 2 tsp of cream into the mixture. And add the rest of the cold cream and beat just until it soft completely.
- After you’ve done with the previous step, place the top layer on the filling and next pour the chocolate glaze all over the top of the cake and letting it flow down to the sides of the cake. Here’s how to make chocolate glaze Melt the butter, chocolate and corn syrup in a bowl, placed over simmering water. Once you’ve done, remove from the heat and stir in the liqueur and let it cool.
- Place the rest of the filling in a piping bag and you can decorate your cake by piping the cream on the top of the cake. If the cake is not immediately served, you can refrigerate it first it can make the icing cream freeze and have a better taste to the chocolate glazed.
Don’t forget to share this special cake recipe with your family and friends and leave your comments below.