It is a classic Filipino dessert made of freshly grated cassava that mixed with eggs, coconut milk, sugar and condense milk and it is baked in round “leche flan” tin molds.
Cassava is a root plant originating from South America. Also popular in Africa, South and Central America, Southeast Asia and India. It is a root rich in carbohydrates, a major source of energy and mainly starch. In raw form, the cassava is similar to a sweet potato in appearance, with a thick brown outer layer. It is also provide many benefit health, it is low in fat and zero cholesterol, but it is quite high in calories, almost double the calories than the potato. This is probably the highest of any rich tropical tuber starch. 100 g cassava provides 160 calories, mainly derived from sucrose that make up most of the sugar in the tubers , which in total account for more than 69 % of total sugar. Other amylose complex sugars are the main carbohydrate source that is about 16-17 %. Thus, cassava could be an alternative to rice as food to get enough energy for our bodies. It is also the sources of vitamin K: Vitamin K plays a role in building bone mass potential by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bone. Moreover, this vitamin is also useful in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease patients by limiting neuronal damage in the brain.
Moreover, the cassava can also be used as a food ingredient for making delicious cakes, one of it, is the special and classical Filipino dessert cassava cake. The cassava cake is a very great. This cake is also suitable for a birthday or housewarming or maybe in any other occasions such as Christmas, gathering and many more. Although you won’t find cassava cake at the Orient Philippine Pavilon, you will find another bakery or you can make your own instead.
This cake is extremely simple cake to make and the ingredients used can be purchased at Asian market. Especially for the grated cassava, if you’re having trouble of finding this item, you can search at the Asian market usually in the frozen section.
Once you have all the simple ingredients of cassava cake you will easily be able to make this special. Besides, the ingredients you need are grated cassava, coconut milk, sugar, eggs and milk. Then you can just start making the cassava cake. In a large mixing bowl, place together the 2 types of milk, they are evaporated milk and condensed milk along with the coconut milk, sugar and eggs and using the wire whisk or spatula just mix together the ingredients you put in bowl just until everything is mixed well.
Once you have done with the milk-mixture, now go on and pour the grated cassava into the mixture. But here I would like to place my grated cassava and soak them in the hot water first before mixing with another ingredient just to make the frozen grated cassava sit to room temperature or at least the cassava will turn to the original texture. And finally, pour the mixture into a pan and bake it to the oven for about one hour or until the cake is completely cooked well. Once your cake is cooked remove it from the oven and let it sit for about one hour or overnight. And the best serve of this special cassava cake is when it is chilled or to room temperature. You can also just eat it plain nice or you may want to dust the top with some frosting like cream cheese, whipped cream or anything you like.
Ingredients of How to Make Best and Easy Cassava Cake (Filipino Desserts)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 pack of Grated Cassava Cake
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 canned coconut milk
Instructions of How to Make Best and Easy Cassava Cake (Filipino Desserts)
- First of all you can start the step by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and place the rack to the center of the oven and do not forget to press the “Start” button to set the heat. Then, spray or grease a 9 inch of baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or you can just use the butter to grease the baking dish.
- Next, since the grated cassava cake I have today is the frozen one, so I would like to soak them in the hot water. Get the bowl or pan, pour the hot water on it then place the two packs of the grated cassava cake in the bowl and set the bowl aside.
- In the large of mixing bowl, place together all the ingredients, except the grated cassava cake. And using the spoon or wire whisk just mix it together just until everything is well combined. And for the information, add the egg one at a time and beat it after each addition. And here I also use the half of condensed milk, because me and my family doesn’t really like eating the cassava cake with too sweet flavored. But if you are a big fans of sweet food and dish, go ahead and our all the condensed milk as you like.
- Once you have done with the milk-mixture, now go ahead and pour the grated cassava cake into the mixture and again whisk it together just until everything is blended well.
- Now, grab the prepared baking dish and pour the mixture into it and make sure that all the mixture is distributed well to the baking dish.
- Now, place the mixture in the oven and bake it for about one hour or until you see that the surface of the cake turns golden brown.
- Once the cake is cooked well, now remove it from the oven and let the cake sit for about an hour or all over the night. Because the best serve of the cassava cake is when the cake is sit to room temperature.
After the cake sits, you are ready to cut it into small square pieces or according to the size you like. And you can also serve this either to your mom, children or friends.
Don’t forget to share this special cake recipe with all your friend or family and don’t forget to leave your comment below!