Fish cake is food that is similar item to a croquette, this food consisting of filleted fish that sometimes coated in breadcrumbs or batter and fried.
Fish cakes are often served in patty form. Commonly, fish cake used cod as filling, however, as cod stock have been depleted other varieties of white fish are used, such as haddock or whiting. Fish cakes may also use oily fish such as salmon for markedly different flavor. As fish has traditionally been a major dietary component of people that living near the river, seas and lakes, there have arisen many regional variations of the fish cake.
This variation of fish cake can depend on what kind of fish they used, how finely chopped fish is, the use of milk or water, the use of eggs or no eggs, the use of flour or boiled potatoes, the cooking method (whether it’s boiling, baking or frying) and the inclusion of other ingredients like bacon, shrimp, herbs or spices.
The variation of fish cakes has become more and more in each country, they also have different names and different ingredients, but the most popular and the most requested recipe of fish cake is fish cake from Thailand. This fish cake recipe known as the most delicious, and has a high taste especially from the spices that used. Unlike the fish cakes in General, here we will not use breadcrumbs to make the fish sticking to each other but will instead use only spice.
These might sound complicated but if you get all the ingredients, it just takes simple step. You just need to mix everything together and add the spices until the fish and the spices smooth. Stir together a little chives and green beans, fry them in the hot pan until they turns golden brown, finally you can serve it on your serving plate and just add the chopped chives and chili sauce to make the original Asian taste.
Ingredients of How to Make Easy and Delicious Thai Fish Cakes:
- 450 g skinless and filleted white fish (such as haddock or cod)
- 1 tbs fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 large egg
- coriander ( chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tbs red curry paste
- 1 red chili (deseeded and chopped)
- 3-4 chives (roughly chopped)
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger (peeled and chopped)
- Lemon zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tbs sunflower oil
- 75g green beans (sliced)
- 2-3 chives (garnish)
- Sweet chili dipping sauce, to serve
Instruction of How to Make Easy and Delicious Thai Fish Cakes:
- First, place the ingredients such as ginger, chili and garlic into the food processor or blender and mix it together until all the spices becomes smooth and nice.
- Once that’s done, add the filleted white fish into the mixture spices, just make sure that you’re also add the egg and lemon zest and red curry. These ingredients are to make the rich flavor and pulled out a distinctive taste of Thailand. Speaking about Thailand, one ingredient which is very Thailand for me is to add the fish sauce, but if you find that is hard to get the fish sauce that is okay if you not add this ingredient. Blend it together until the fish and the spices combined well.
- Once you get the nice mixture of your fish and spices, turn of your food processor and remove the batter from the processor and place it into a bowl, add the chopped chives and green beans also coriander. Using your hand, mix all ingredients only until you have nice distribution of the chives, green beans and coriander.
- Next, after you get the nice mixture, take a little bit of the batter and go on make a little ball or patty form.
- Before frying, you can refrigerate it until the batter becomes frozen.
- Heat the oil in large frying pan and fry the fish cakes in two batches for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove it from the heat and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper. You can also add chopped chives as garnish and serve straight with some sweet chili dipping sauce.
Now, your Thai fish cake is ready to be served. You can serve this special this to your family, friends or you may want to eat it alone. This special dish is also fit as your healthy lunch.
If you like this special recipe, don’t forget to share it and leave your comments below!