A rock cake or also called a rock bun is a small hard fruit cake with a rough surface, resembling a rock, but the taste is still divine with the crunchy outer but moist inside.
According to a history, rock cakes originated in Great Britain, where they are a traditional teatime treat, but are now popular in many parts of the world. The cakes were promoted by the Ministry of Food during the World War II since they require fewer eggs and less sugar that the ordinary cakes, an important savings in a time of strict rationing. The traditional recipe bulked them with oatmeal, which was more readily available than white flour. (You migh also like: How to make Spiderman cake)
Besides can be enjoyed along with a cup of tea, rock cake is also currently used as a suitable cake served for some particular moment such as birthdays, reunions and even served at Christmas will be even more delicious. The cake has similar form to cookies that mixed with dried fruits makes this dish suitable as a snack that can be enjoyed while watching television or getting together with family. And I think there will be no one who can resist the delights of this cake. I’ve only ever come across one person who didn’t like dried fruit so they sat and took them all out and enjoyed the cake anyway. And when I told them that the cake contains dried fruits they were like “oh really?” and they continue to bite the cake until there is nothing left.
You can also make this cake for the kids to bring to school as a healthy and delicious snack. Considering that almost every kid loves the sweet foods, this cake would the best snack for them.
The rock cakes are simply the easiest cake to make, so easy, anyone cake make them, children loves making them too as from start to finish takes no time and this recipe is pretty foolproof, so there is a great sense of achievement. Rock cakes are also great to make with the kids as they are not at all delicate or fussy – perfect for little hands to make. So do not be afraid or hesitate to bring children into the kitchen and ask them to help you make this cake, you can make this moment as well as quality moments with the children. Very soon the cakes are on the plate, all lovely and warm and ready to be eaten. Children are loves the rock cakes as they also happen to be one of Harry Potter’s favorite cakes that often enjoy during tea time treats.
And also the best thing of making this cake is that you don’t need any machine to mix the cake batter, you can just do that using your hands, so that when you bring the kids here, you do not have to worry about their safety. As I said above that the cakes are super simple to make, all you need to do is just mixing the flour, butter and baking powder over a large mixing bowl using the finger tip just until everything is mixed together well. Then, add the dried fruits, raisins and sugar, again whisk them up together until blended well. In a measuring cup, mix together the milk, vanilla extract and eggs and whisk it up using a wire whisk, make sure that all the ingredients are mixed together. Then, pour the egg-mixture to the flour-mixture and using a spoon fold them in together until incorporated together. Once you have done with the butter you can mold the cake butter using two spoons and place them on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. As the final touch before baking, I would like to sprinkle the top of the cake with brown sugar just to make the look prettier. And now, you can bake the cake in the oven just until the cake cooked well. Then you are ready to serve the cake as soon as they are out from the oven.
Ingredients to Make Easy Old Fashioned British Best Ever Rock Cakes For Kids:
- 125 g soft butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 225 g self raising flour
- 100g mixed dried fruit
- 85g granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 80g juicy raisins
- 1 large egg
- Demerara (brown) sugar for sprinkling
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions of How to Make Easy Old Fashioned British Best Ever Rock Cakes For Kids:
- First of all you can start the first step by preheating the oven to 200 degrees C and place the rack to the center of the oven. Then spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Then in a large of mixing bowl, mix together the flour, butter and baking powder with your fingers until it looks like fine bread crumbs and stir sugar along with dried fruits and again mix it up. Set the bowl aside.
- In a measuring cup, place the milk, eggs and one teaspoon of vanilla extract and using a wire whisk mix it up until everything is incorporated well.
- Now, pour the wet ingredient to the dry ingredient (flour-mixture) and whisk it up using a spoon until the mixture becomes a bit sticky and lumpy.
- Once you have done with the batter, now scoop out the batter on the baking sheet and repeat the same method to the remain batter and keep them a little space apart so they won’t be stick to each other.
- Go ahead and bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until you see the cake turns golden brown and crunchy on the sides of the cake.
Once your cakes cooked, remove them from the oven and transfer them to serving plate or in the jar and you are ready to serve the cake for the lovely kids. And just for the information, if you don’t like the dried fruits you can also substitute it with chocolate chips.
Please share this special cake recipe with your friends and family and let me know what you think on the comment sections below!