If you are not of Welsh descent you probably don’t know about the special cake that has a same name of Welsh, it’s Welsh cake.
This is the traditional cake in Wales. The similar small cakes are also made in other regions of the UK. The cakes are also known as bakestones within Wales because they are traditionally cooked on a bakestone. That is a cast iron griddle about 1.5 cm or more thick that is placed on the fire or cooker. I think the best way to describe this yummy cake is accompanied with a cup of tea. Instead of baking the cake in the oven, they are cooked on frying pan or griddle, which this give them a golden brown with crust texture the outside of the cake, yet they are nice and soft inside. There are many variations to serve this special cake, one of it is served them with a icing sauce, this sauce has a creamy and sweet taste that will make your time-to-enjoy-the-cake so much better.
The first time you look at the recipe you will see how similar it is to a scone. The only real different is that the Welsh cake uses less milk than the scone. It is because you want a dough that can be easily to be rolled and cut into rounds. This may sound complicated, but trust me once you get all the ingredients and listen carefully to the recipe and the steps you will be able to make this cake so easily. All you need to do to make this Welsh cake is just mix the ingredients together such as flour and cold butter until it’s combined well, add the sugar, sultanas, lemon zest, lavender to make a beautiful fragrance and milk, using a spoon just stir it until the ingredients is well combined.
Transfer the dough to the counter, sprinkle a little bit of flour on it and rolled the dough then cut it into rounded shape, you can also use the rounded mold to make the cut easier. Heat the frying pan over medium heat and do not pouring any fat or oil because we are going to cook it without fat. Place the dough on the frying pan and cook it until it’s golden brown on each side. To make the sauce cream, whip the cream until soft peaks then whisk the icing sugar. Slice the strawberries into small pieces and serve the cake with the sauce and strawberry sliced. This would be so delicious and the look would be so much prettier. So let’s go to the kitchen and grab the recipe, let just start the steps.
Ingredients of How to Make Welsh Cake:
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sugar (to sprinkle)
- 75 g golden caster sugar
- 1 shot milk (to bind)
- 1 handful sultanas
- 1 tablespoon edible lavender
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 punnet fresh strawberries
- 1 pinch salt
- 100 g cold, diced, salted butter
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 shot Pimms (optional)
Instructions of How to Make Welsh Cake:
- 1. First of all, pour the flour into a medium mixing bowl along with the cold, dice butter and mix it until it resembles breadcrumbs. The best way to mix this ingredient is using the arms, so make sure that your arms are clean or use the hand gloves to make sure the hygiene.
- 2. Then add the sugar, sultanas, lemon zest and lavender and mix it well (you can use a spoon or spatula to mix it). Lavender is more commonly used in cosmetic products, although has culinary uses and gives its name to a color too. Crack the egg and mix it again, adding a splash of milk it if needs it to form a dough.
- 3. Now, sprinkle a little bit of flour to the counter and transfer the dough here. The flour is used to make the cake does not sticking to the counter. Preheat a flat griddle pan or a large frying pan over medium heat. Roll the dough out on a floured counter to a thickness for 1 cm. And cut the dough into 6 cm rounded shape using cookies cutter or rounded cake mold.
- 4. Place the cookies on the griddle for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until the cake is golden brown (you may have to adjust the temperature to get it right, they should be browned but not burnt).
- 5. Before serving and while waiting your cake cooling down after cooking, let’s make the sweet sauce cream. Whip the cream to soft peaks using a wire whisk then whisk the icing sugar and pimm (if desired). Slice the strawberries into small piece, but keep it in their natural shape.
And now, you are ready to serve this special Welsh cake with a cup of tea and enjoy with the fresh strawberry sliced and the sweet sauce cream. If you are type of person who doesn’t really like strawberry, you can also substitute the way you serve your cake, maybe you want to sprinkle the top of the cake with caster sugar, powder sugar, or you may want to make the chocolate sauce , just feel free to do whatever you want and combine everything with your welsh cake.
Share this special cake recipe with your friends and family and let them know how great the taste is and let me know what you think on the comment box below!