Most of you may simply roll your yoga mat once you have finished your workout routine. You don’t really put much attention to maintaining it on a regular basis. Of course, in time, you will see that your yoga mat looks ugly.
In this article, we share with you an easy tutorial on How to Clean Yoga Mat that you can get done in no time.
How to Clean Yoga Mat
There are two different cleaning methods which are based on what kind of yoga mat you use.
Cleaning open-cell yoga mats
- Put your yoga mat on an even surface.
- Mix warm water with a few drops of dish soap in a bowl.
- Soak a microfiber cloth in the cleaning mixture, and wring out the excess liquid.
- Wipe your yoga mat from top to bottom with the damp cloth in a circular motion. If you find some stains or dirt on the surface, give more pressure until it starts to disappear.
- Use another clean cloth to wipe dry the yoga mat.
- Let it air-dry completely before using it again, do not place the mat under direct sunlight.
Cleaning closed-cell yoga mats
- Mix warm water and a few drops of dish soap in a bathtub or large bucket.
- Soak your closed-cell yoga mat in the cleaning solution for around 5 minutes.
- Scrub the mat in a circular motion while it’s still soaked in the cleaning mixture.
- Rinse your yoga mat in the cleaning water until you are sure that the cleaning residue is removed completely.
- Wipe the surface of your yoga mat with another clean dry microfiber cloth.
- Air-dry the mat before you use it again, avoid placing it under direct sunlight.
(Read also: How to Choose Dining Rug | Home Decor Guide)
How to Properly Maintain Yoga Mat
A yoga mat can be quite a big purchase especially if you buy one which is made of high-quality material and equipped with sophisticated features. Of course, it’s important for you to properly maintain your yoga mat to keep it last for years,
Here’s what you can do to properly maintain your yoga mat:
- Store the mat properly – Most of you simply store your mat right after you have finished one session while it’s still damp with your sweats. This will let the bacteria grow massively on your mat which then may break it down over time. Always air dry the mat before you store it or roll it to avoid any moisture damage.
- Wipe the mat – Once you finish each workout session, wipe down your yoga mat with a clean microfiber cloth. You can also add some cleaning solution when you wipe it down. This simple step can really prolong the lifetime of your yoga mat.
- Use a yoga towel – A yoga towel is a good addition that you can place on top of your yoga mat. It works by absorbing sweat and oil to add more comfort while you are working out and keep your mat from excess moisture at the same time.