Crumb cake or streuselkuchen is a German specialty.
Traditionally the cake is made with dough combined with yeast and covered with a crumb topping or known as streusel. The main ingredients to make the crumbs are butter, flour and sugar. The old fashioned crumb cake is usually a flat cake bake on a baking tray and cut it into oblong pieces. It should be very flat about one inch so the crumbs make about 50% of its weight. (You might also like: Honey Bun Cake Recipe From scratch)
It’s a very unique and super simple cake to make besides the cake is quite inexpensive, so this one cake can be made at your home whenever you want. And the ingredients used are very easy to found, you can get all the ingredients at the groceries. This cake is also suit to be served in special occasions such as party, wedding and any other occasions. You can also serve the cake when hosting some events this cake is very nice and delicious, especially when the cake served with coffee or tea.
And now with the crumbs cake recipe that I will show you today, you won’t have to buy the cake at cafe or bakery, because you will easy be able to make this at your home. I’m going to use a removable rounded pan just to make the cake easier when I release it from the pan. But if you don’t have the one, you can use the regular pan or any pan you prefer to. Besides, I prefer to give a coffee flavored on the cake, I think coffee has a very strong taste and it is good to strengthen the flavor. Since I said that the cake is very easy to make, so the first thing you may have to do to make the cake is beat together the eggs and sugar using the hand mixer or stand mixer until they are light and fluffy and add vanilla extract. Vanilla extract is the common ingredient that almost always used, so before making the cake make sure that you have all the ingredients first. Once you have done with the egg-mixture, in another mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients such as flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and pour this dry ingredients to the wet ingredients (egg-mixture) make sure that everything is well combined. Then add the sour cream.
Get the spring form or the removable rounded pan spray it with cooking spray and pour the batter here. Combine with sugar and cinnamon together. Then sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture all over the top of the cake batter along with the chopped pecans. Then spoon over the remaining batter with spatula carefully cover the first layer cover with remaining batter. Before baking the batter into the oven, you should make the crumb topping first. In a medium mixing bowl, combine together flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon and whisk them until crumbs form. Add nuts and sprinkle it on the top of the batter. Now you can bake the cake in the oven until the cake is cooked well. And after it’s cooked you are ready to serve your cake.
Ingredients of How to Make Old Fashioned Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Ingredients for Cake:
- 1/2 cup of salted butter
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Cinnamon Filling:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Ingredients for Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Powdered sugar for garnish
Instructions of How to Make Old Fashioned Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake:
- First of all you can start the step by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and place the rack to the center of the oven. Then spray the spring form or removable rounded pan with a non-stick cooking pan or if you found hard to get the cooking spray you can just grease the pan with butter and dust it with flour.
- Then in a bowl of your hand or stand mixer that fitted with paddle attachment, add eggs on at a time mix with sugar and beat them until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract.
- Once you have done with the egg-mixture, in a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients such as flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and make sure that everything is well combined.
- Add the butter mixture in thirds along with the sour cream alternately and mix it well.
- Next, pour the half of batter into the pan that you have prepared before, and in another mixing bowl combine together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle the cinnamon mixture all over the top of the cake batter, top with 1 cup of chopped pecans. And now, spoon over the remaining butter and with spoon or spatula, carefully cover the first layer and cover with the remaining batter.
- Before baking the batter into the oven, you should make the crumb topping first. In a mixing bowl, place together the flour, cinnamon, sugar and butter and mix them using the wire whisk or fork just until they are turned to crumb form. And add nuts. Now, sprinkle the crumbs topping over the top of the batter.
- You are now ready to bake the cake to the oven. Bake the cake until cooked well for about 1 hour or until you insert the toothpick to the center of the cake and it comes out clean.
Once the cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature. And after that, you are ready to serve the cake and cut it according to the size you like.
Don’t forget to share this cake recipe either with your family or friends and let me know what you think on the comment sections below!