Poppy seed is an oilseed obtained from the opium of poppy.
The seeds are usually used, whole or ground, as an ingredient in many various foods, such as steak, paste and also cake and they are also pressed to yield poppy seed oil.
Talking about the cake, now we’re trying to make a great and special cake using the poppy seed as one of the ingredients. Buttery and freshly sour lemon is how I describe this delicious cake. The combination of two different ingredients between lemon and poppy seed will bring a different taste and sensation to you. And the frosting or glaze that we place over the top of the cake will make it tender and moist so it will make the cake able to keep or sit for days.
This poppy seed cake is quite familiar to the pound cake. In this recipe we are going to use both of the outer yellow skin or we known it as the lemon zest, plus with the lemon juice. The grated lemon zest or the outer skin of the lemon is added to the cake batter and this is actually where the lemon hides most of its flavor. Since we are using the outer skin of the lemon, it would be better if you buy the organic lemon. But either way, it is also good practice to always wash the lemons first before we use it. Especially the part of the lemon that we are going to use is the outer of the lemon. So before use it, make sure that your lemon is completely clean and free from any germs that inherent to the lemon.
And another addition to the lemon poppy seed breads is the black poppy seed. This is what makes the look of the cake has a lovely dotting and add the delightful crunch. You can also adjust the amount of the poppy seed to your own personal taste. Some people cannot easily chew the poppy seeds, so to solve this problem is that you can first soften the seeds by soaking them in the water for at least 30 minutes before making the batter and mix it together. But if you are having trouble of soaking the poppy seed because you think it’s going to take so much time, while you are rush for some reasons. Go ahead just pour the poppy seeds to the cake ingredients.
This poppy seeds cake is really easy to make and this one is the inexpensive cake to make. Once you get all the ingredients, all you need to do is go to the kitchen, grab the apron and let’s get ready to cook. In a mixing bowl, place together the self raising flour and sugar, but if you don’t have the self raising flour, you can just use the all purpose flour added with the baking powder, add salt and poppy seeds. Then using the wire whisk or spoon, whisk together until everything is well combined and set it aside.
Next, in another mixing bowl place together the melted butter, milk, eggs, the grated lemon zest and vanilla extract and beat it using the stand or hand mixer over medium speed. Once the wet mixture is mixed through, add the dry-ingredient-mixture and fold them together until all is blended well.
Once you have done with the batter, now pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake it to the oven and bake the cake until it cooked well. While your cake is baked in the oven, go ahead and make the lemon glaze. In a mixing bowl, place together the icing sugar, lemon juice and beat it until everything is well combined. After the cake is cooked well, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature. Pour the lemon glaze over the top of the cake and before serving let the cake sit for about 1-2 hours or if you want the faster way, you can just place the cake in the fridge.
Ingredients of How to Make Easy, Moist and Best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Cake:
Ingredients for Cake:
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup milk
- Zest of one lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
Ingredients for Lemon Glaze:
- Juice of one lemon juice
- 1 cup icing sugar
Instructions of How to Make Easy, Moist and Best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Cake:
- First of all you can start the step by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and place the rack to the center of the. Then spray or grease a 9-inch of baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or you can use the butter to grease the pan.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl we are going to mix the dry ingredient. Place together the self raising flour, sugar, salt and poppy seeds and using a spoon or wire whisk, mix together until all the ingredients mixed well. Set the bowl aside.
- Then in another bowl of the hand or stand mixer place the melted butter, eggs, milk, the grated lemon zest and vanilla extract and beat them over medium speed until everything is well combined.
- Once the butter whisked through, now you can pour the dry ingredients here and gently fold them until all mixed well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake it to the preheated oven for about 52-55 minutes or until you touched the can it springs back.
- While your cake is baking in the oven, you can go ahead and make the lemon glaze. In a mixing bowl, place together the glaze ingredients and using a mixer, whisk all together until you get a nice and good consistency of your glaze.
Once your cake is cooked well, remove it from the oven and let the cake cool to room temperature and then you are ready to pour the glace all over the top of the cake. And if you are not immediately served the cake you better place it in the fridge just to sit the cake.
Don’t forget to share this special cake recipe with all your friends or family and let me know what you think on the comment section below!