cake is a classic Spanish cake that in some recipe, a butter cake soaked in three kinds of milk products, they are condensed milk, heavy cream and evaporated milk.
It’s delicious and it’s has always been awaited by so many people. There’s something unique from this cake, when the butter is not used, the cake is very nice cake, with many air bubbles in the cake comes out. Though being soaked in a mixture of milk, this distinctive texture doesn’t have a soggy texture
According to history this Tres Leches cake is popular in South and Central America, North America and many parts of the Caribbean. Therefore the original of tres leches are disputed in some countries, however the idea of creating a dessert soaked cake in liquid is most likely of Medieval European origins, this cake also similar with many desserts cake in many countries such as Trifle and rum cake from British and also Tiramisu from Italy that use the same method. The recipe for soaked-cake were seen in Mexico as dated early 19th Century they made this cake as a yummy dessert.
This cake has a dense, moist cake that topped with an icing or vanilla whipped cream. What make this dessert cake is unusual is that after the bake, it is perforated and soaked with types of milk. The three milks, when combines, create just the right sweetness, and ‘mouth feel’ for a rich cake, makes the cake has a moist texture but not mushy.
This texture and the sweet and yummy taste made this cake is good to bring to your friend’s house or you can make it as a gift for your family. There’re many variations of this special cake, but today we’re going to make the original Tres leches cake, but we’re gonna change two ingredients of it. In this tutorial I change the cake flour instead of regular all purpose flour, because I found the better nice texture and also I get the egg separately just to make the more fluffiness and light and moist texture. But if you want to keep the very original recipe, feel free to do it. And here’s the recipe.
Ingredients of How to Make Tres Leches Cake:
- 1 3/4 cup of Cake Flour
- 3/4 cup of Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter
- 5 Eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
3 Milk Mixture Ingredients :
- 1 14 oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 12 oz can of Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup of Whole Milk
For Frosting Ingredients:
- 4 Tbsp of Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
Instructions of How to Make Tres Leches Cake:
- First, you can start the step by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. The prepare a 9×13″ baking dish or a baking pans spray it with nonstick cooking spray and lay the bottom of the pan using parchment paper or wax paper.
- Using a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup of sugar into the bowl of mixer, add the vanilla extract and egg yolks and mix it up on the medium speed until the it is becomes thick ad very pale it might take about 2-3 minutes so keep the mixer running. While you mix it, prepare a medium bowl using a different mixer whether it’s standing or electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until they develop stiff.
- Once your egg yolks mixture done, add a half of the milk and gradually add a half of dry ingredients and mix them until it’s enough and incorporate, just remember do not over mix it. Then add the remaining milk and dry ingredients and mix everything together.
- Once you get the nice consistency of you dough, pour the dough into the pan and just bake it for about 25 or to 30 minutes or until it is cooked well, you can also test it by inserting the toothpick into the center of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Once your cake is cooked well, remove it from the oven and let just the cake cool for about 15-20 minutes, then remove the platter ( make sure that your platter has high edges because the milk texture will run put to the sides as you pour it on the top of the cake.).
- Now, try to pierce the cake all over the top with a fork and also set aside.
- Now, we’re gonna make the mixture milk. Whisk together 1 cup of milk and all the three types of milk that you have prepared before. And pour this mixture slowly all over the top of the cake until it soaks in the tender sponge.
- You are not done yet, let the cake sit for about a half hour so the milk mixture really soak in and then move on to make the frosting. Using you standing mixer or electric mixer whisk the heavy cream to form soft peaks, and add the powder sugar and go on to whisk it until the frosting mixture becomes stiff peaks form.
- Once you’re done, ad or spread the frosting all over the top of the cake and you want to make the look prettier you can decorate it with some fruits or candies.
And now the tres leches is ready to be served. Enjoy every slice and the yummy and moist texture on your mouth.
Share this special cake recipe wth all your friends or family and give your comments below.