It is full of dried fruits and nuts, also laced with alcohol over the several weeks and often covered with Marzipan and royal icing. The problem of this cake is that it’s both expensive to make and it needs time to age. Luckily, there is much easier method of this cake for the last minute baker, and I call it as the easy Christmas fruit cake. I love many things about this cake. I also love that the cake is still uses all the necessary fruit cake ingredients, like dried fruits, candied fruits and spices. I love the batter is so easy to make and you don’t need any machine such as mixer to whisk the ingredients until it becomes a batter and bake to the oven. And most importantly, I love its flavor and also it can be eaten almost right away. The cake is one cake that is so lovely that it begs to me made all the year, nut only during the Christmas season but also in any event, people will always love the smell, taste and the yummy texture of this cake.
The cakes are also often called as “boiled” fruit cake it’s because the water, spices, brown sugar, butter, and raisins are in fact “boiled”. Then you just have to let cool the mixture go on and fold the rest of the ingredients. And that is it. Then, you just need to pour the batter into your pan, but before you bake the batter, you need to put a double left baking parchment around the outside of the pan. This one is used to make sure that your cake isn’t cooked too much on the outside and also prevent that your cake doesn’t burn the top. Once you done wrapped the parchment tie it together just to hold it in place. Although it doesn’t need weeks to age, it does benefit from being stores at least a day or two. Do not wait for too long, here’s the Christmas cake recipe.
Ingredients of How to Make Christmas Fruit Cake:
- 200g All Purpose / Plain Flour
- 200g Butter
- 4 Eggs
- 200g Dark Brown Sugar
- 200g Currants
- 50g Flaked Almonds
- 200g Sultanas
- 200g Raisins
- 50g Mixed Peel
- 100g Glace Cherries
- 50g Ground Almonds
- 150g Dried Cranberries
- Grated Zest of 1 Lemon and 1 Orange
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Mixed Spice
- 1/2Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon Black Treacle
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
Instructions of How to Make Christmas Fruit Cake:
- First of all you can start by preheating your oven to 300 degrees F. Next, prepare 9″ cake pans, if you’re using a different size of the cake pan you might need to make some different calculation for the mixture. Then grease some baking paper and fold it into double and just along the bottom edge and fold it again it’s just to make easier when you pop it in the cake pan you have little edge for the bottom to sit in to. And line the bottom of the pan cake with butter, so it helps the paper stick on the bottom of the pan cake. Place the paper with a circle-shaped and place it on the bottom of the pan cake. Just let the baking paper come up so high, it used to protect the cake while it’s baking so it doesn’t burn the top.
- Next, take a large bowl and add the prepare butter at room temperature, brown sugar and cream it together until you get the fluffy and nice mixture. No need mixer or machine you can cream it with a wooden spoon or spatula. Once you get a nice mixture add the egg and again stir it together until it’s combined well.
- Add the zest of lemon, orange, 1 tablespoon of treacle, ground almonds it’s gonna add a lovely flavor and just continue to mix the batter up.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients such as flour, and also the mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg and salt) into the batter and whisk it until you get a nice and creamy batter.
- Once you’ve done, add the raisins, sultanas, currants, cranberries, glace cherries, mixed peel and lastly add the almonds, mix it together until it’s combined well.
- Pour the butter into the cake pan. Using your spoon or spatula spread all over the top of the batter until it looks nice.
- Bake the cake in the oven for about 2 an a half hours or until you cake is completely cooked, you can test it but inserting a skewer to the center of the cake and when it comes out the toothpick is clean. Once you done, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down perfectly.
- After that remove the cake from the pan and also peel the paper from the cake and place it to the plate. Before serving, make the hole on the top of the cake and pour liquid so the cake show the fruit plumped up. Here I’m using brandy which you could use any alcohol you like.
You can also add some icing or whipped cream on the top of the cake just to make your cake look prettier or whether you can just serve it plainly. Go enjoy your cake and have fun with you lovely Christmas fruit cake.
Don’t forget to share thsi special Chrismast cake recipe with your family and friends and leave your comments below!