Not everyone is a fan of traditional pudding, but everyone love chocolate right?
And this is the answer to the Christmas chocolate dish a Yule log cake made with chocolate Swiss roll and decorated to like a fallen festive log.
A Yule log cake is a dessert that usually served near Christmas, especially in Quebec and France. Made of sponge cake and form it into a roulade. According to a history, the original Yule log recipe invented during the 19th century. The cake is traditionally made from genoise and generally baked in a large pan or specifically it is baked in shallow Swiss roll pan.
The chocolate Yule log cake are often served with no end cut off and set atop the cake, or protruding from its side to resemble a chopped off branch. A bark-like texture is often made by dragging a fork or toothpick through the icing, and sprinkled the sugar powdered to resemble the snow. And other cake decorations that apply to the cake may include actual tree branches, mushrooms and fresh berries.
This cake is made with rolled sponge cake while they are still hot and fill the center with cream and make the cake could sit. This method may be considered difficult because not everyone can handle the cake and roll it while cake is still hot from the oven. And the number one thing that stops people from learning how to make a Yule log cake is that they are fear of rolling. Turns out and fear of a cracked or otherwise they just gonna messed up the cake. Besides, decorating the cake may also be considered so hard because they do not know the tricks to make strokes or bark-like on the cake. Actually all the stuff you need to give the bark-like to the cake is just a fork or a knife.
And now, it is time to take a deep breath, move past those fears and roll with it. Because as you will find in this recipe, while there are some time-sensitive steps, but as long as you follow the instructions, it is not that difficult to roll the cake from the sheet into roulade and to draw the bark-like texture on the cake. And here’s what you need to do to make this Yule log recipe. In a mixing bowl beat together the eggs and sugar until smooth, light and fluffy. Then add the half sifted flour and cocoa powder to the egg-mixture and using a spoon gently fold them together until well combined. Once you have done with the batter, grease a baking sheet with butter and line the bottom with the parchment paper and pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet. Once you have done, bake it in the oven just until the cake is cooked well. While your cake is baked in the oven, go ahead and make the cream filling and the chocolate butter cream. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together butter, cocoa powder and icing sugar. The in another mixing bowl, whisk together double cream and liqueur until light and fluffy.
Place a parchment paper on the counter and dust the top with sugar. Once your cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and pan and place it on the counter right above the parchment paper and remove the parchment paper that clings to the cake. While your cake still hot from the oven try to roll it and fill the center with the cream. Let the cake sit for about 30 minutes and allow it cool to room temperature. After that, you are ready to cover the top of the cake with chocolate cream. And decorate them as you like.
Ingredients of How to Make Easy Chocolate Yule Log Cake Decorations:
- 65 g self raising flour
- 1 shot your favorite liquor
- 4 eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 40 g cocoa
- 1 drizzle white icing
- 200 g butter
- 1 glug double cream
- 400 g icing sugar
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 1 sprig holly to garnish
Instructions of How to Make Easy Chocolate Yule Log Cake Decorations:
- First of all you can start the step by preheating the oven to 210 degrees C and line a Swiss roll tin 33 cm x 22 cm or if you are having trouble of finding the Swiss roll tin, you can just use the baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick paper.
- In a bowl of your stand or hand mixer beat together the eggs and sugar just until they are light and fluffy.
- Once you have done with the egg-mixture, now sift flour and cocoa powder and carefully fold them together using a spoon just until everything is well combined.
- Next, pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and smooth the top using a spatula. Then bake the cake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until you press the cake it springs back.
- While your cake is baked in the open, go ahead and make the cream filling. In a bowl, cream together the cream until soft peaks and fold through the alcohol (this ingredient is optional). And also go ahead to make the chocolate butter cream by mixing together the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder and whisk it until smooth and nice.
- Once your cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and lay the parchment paper on the counter than invert the cake on it also remove the parchment paper from the cake.
- While the cake is still hot from the oven start to roll the cake and let the cake cool to room temperature.
- Once the cake is at room temperature, unroll it and fill the center of the cake with cream and roll it back with the cream filling in the center of the cake.
- Smear the chocolate butter cream all over the top of the cake and smooth into all the edges with a butter knife.
Now, you can decorate you Yule log cake and draw the bake-like with a fork or knife and draw the rings around the end of the log with melted white chocolate that placed in the piping bag. If the cake isn’t immediately served, you can store the cake in the fridge for about 2 hours or overnight.
Don’t forget to share this special cake recipe with all your friends and family and let me know what you think on the comments section below!