Hummingbird cake is such a lovely cake with a lovely name.
Although no one seems to know where the name came from and what’s the philosophy hides behind this cake’s name. But it may seem plausible that it may have something to do with how sweety and rich this cake is. Just like the nectar Hummingbirds love to feed on. What we do know is that this recipe gained the popularity after it was appeared in the February 1978 issue in Southern Living Magazine. We also known that by 1990, the
recipe was elected as Southern Living’s favorite recipe in 1990, and it also has been note as the most requested recipe in the magazine’s history. The first known publication of this recipe, as written by L.H Wiggin. The hummingbird cake typically has two or three layers with pecans or walnuts that mixed with crushed pineapple, mashed banana and add with some icing such as whipped cream or frosting with cream cheese.
This cake is usually has a tender and moist aided by the use of oil, instead of butter. I’d rather to take the easier step than the hard one by melted the butter first and just add it to the mixture. Beside, this cake is also fits with the bill. But if you want u can also use butter instead of oil feel free to do that. No need mixer to have the goo result of the batter. You just need of two bowls, it’s one for the wet ingredients and another one is for the dry ingredients. And you also just need to mix and stir it together and you are done, so simple huh? For sure this cake recipe is a lot easier that you make any cake at your home. And the making of this cake is also pretty much the same with the carrot cake, especially when we filled and frosted the cake with some icing such as whipped cream or cream cheese. Besides, if you’re able to make this cake by your own self you won’t have to buy it in other place because you can make it anytime you want. And here’s the recipe.
Ingredients of How to Make Hummingbird Cake
- 390 grams all-purpose flour
- 100 grams pecans
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 400 grams granulated white sugar
- 180 m safflower, vegetable, corn, or canola oil
- 227 grams can crushed pineapple, do not drain
- 400 grams mashed ripe bananas (it might take about 4 bananas)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Ingredients of How to Make Pecans Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 55 grams butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 227 grams cream cheese
- 450 grams confectioners sugar (powdered or icing), sifted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
Instructions of How to Make Hummingbird Cake:
- First, preheat your oven to 35- degrees F which is 180 degrees Celsius. Butter, or spray with a non stick spray, two 9×2 inch baking pans with a round shape and line the bottom of the baking pans with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Next, pour the pecans into the baking sheet and bake it for about 6-8 minutes or until it’s lightly browned and you can smell the fragrant. Once it is done, remove the pecans from the oven or microwave and let it cool and chop it well.
- Get a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, oil, mashed banana and pineapple. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and just mix it up until it’s combined. Evenly, divide the batter between the two pans that you have prepare before and bake it for about 25-30 minutes or until the cake is well cooked or you can test the cake by inserting the toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Once your cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool. It might take 7-10 minutes and invert the cake to the wire rack, remove the pans and the parchment paper and let the cake cool completely before we do the frosting on the top of the cake. It might take a few minutes to make the cake is completely cool, so just wait.
- While you’re waiting your cake is cooled completely, you can move on to make the frosting. Using you electric mixer beat the cream cheese and butter together on the medium speed until it’s very smooth and nice. Gradually add the sifted sugar powder and beat on again on medium to low speed until the mixture is incorporate and fluffy. Once it is done, add the vanilla extract and stir in the finely chopped the pecans.
- Now, you can assemble your cake on the serving plate. Spread about a third of the cream frosting. Gently place the other cake layer on the top and spread the rest of the cream frosting all over the top of the cake and don’t forget to spread it on the side of the cake too. To make your cake look prettier, you can also decorate it with chopped pecan on the top of the cream frosting cake. And if the cake is not immediately served, refrigerate the cake first to make the cream freeze and easy to cut.
Now, you can serve your special and easy hummingbird cake to your family or friends.
Don’t forget to share this cake recipe with your family and friend and leave your comment down below.